In 1989, newly formed Town Councils took over from HDB the responsibility of managing the common areas of HDB estates. Led by the elected Members of Parliament, and supported by community leaders and residents, the Town Council has policy-implementation and decision-making powers to effectively perform the estate management functions.
Roles and Duties of Bishan-Toa Payoh Town Council
1) Maintain the common areas outside the residential units but within the block,
gardens, market & food centres, open spaces, shophouses and void decks.
2) Supervise cleaning and landscaping works.
3) Provide essential maintenance and lift rescue service (EMSU: 1800 241 7711).
4) Improve estate with new facilities, for example, childrens’ playgrounds, covered
linkways and many others.
5) Control and manage the use of common areas, for example, social functions at
6) Engage residents in community-related activities, for example, Project VisionScroll,
Tour of Toa Payoh Trail and Tree Planting Day.